News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Tau tourny army  (Read 1764 times)

Offline wolf of melnibone

1500 Tau tourny army
« on: August 15, 2002, 11:52:31 AM »
This is my Tau army designed for tournaments and take all comers. With this in mind, I wanted to be ready for anything, from space marines to hordes of orks and other shooty armies like IG. I decided that the best way for tau to be able to handle everything is to use their mobility so I have assembled an army geared towards the killing blow Mont'Ka style. Static armies do well against marines, but crumble against tyranids and IG, so I think a mobile army, with some static elements will maximize my chances against all armies. On to the list, this list also meets all of the new criteria for rouge trader tournaments:

HQ-
Shas'O with plasma/missile pod and multitracker

Etheral Caste member

Elite-
Crisis Suit team
2 suits with plasma/fusion blaster and multitrackers
1 leader with plasma/burst cannon and multitacker
 hard wired drone controller with 2 gun drones

4 Stealth Suits

Troops-
12 Fire Warriors bonded (4 or 6 carbines, not sure yet)
Devilfish
 (multitacker, decoy launchers)

12 Fire Warriors bonded (4 or 6 carbines, not sure yet)
Devilfish
 (multitacker, decoy launchers)

8 Fire Warriors (all rifles)

12 Kroot, with Shaper and armor/leadership upgrade
 also 4 Kroot Hounds

Heavy-
Broadside with TL railguns/ Smart missiles and multi

Broadside with TL railguns/ Smart missiles and multi

Hammerhead with railgun/burst cannons
 (targeting array, multitracker, decoy launchers)

Tell me what you think of this army. The crisis suits are armed with the little used combo of plasma/fusion because they are primarily my last chance hunters of tough HQ forces (hence the s8 fusions) and marine killers. The leader has a burst cannon for a little crowd control against hordes and it looks awesome as I cut off his forearm and replaced it with the burst cannon.

Offline xv15.

Re:1500 Tau tourny army
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 05:29:34 PM »
I think you should change 1 crisis suit in each team to have a plasma rifle, missile pod and multi tracker, that way, you have a little anti armour capability at range, should your broadsides and HH fail you. S7 assault 2 is a nice anti apc weapon.

my 2c
The man who makes a beast of himself,
rids himself of the pain of being a man.

Offline LoPaanRe

• World Domination - The Fun Way!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 09:43:23 PM »
have you considered taking out the devilfish...ies and adding another firewarrior squad? I personally think 160 points is a bit steep especially when you could put it into say, another squad of firewarriors. I have been reading about a lot of people giving their fire warriors transports...can anyone tell me why they think its worth the 80 pts?

Master Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 10:18:32 PM »
Devilfish Troop Transports give your troops a tough vehicle that can 'suck up' firepower not allowing the Fire Warriors to die easily like the almost always do.  The Transport also allows you troops to get into advantegeous firing postitions on the second turn instead of the third or fourth.  Finally they can block your opponents line of sight (say you have an exposed leader about to take an unreal amount of firepower, bang sacrifice the devilfish to save a unit that can pay back its points in 1 turn).  However I only give my troops transports on tables that are bigger than 4x4'.  At that short distance it only takes you 1 or two turns to get into position anyway, so the points are best spent elsewhere.  Now do you understand the importance of Devilfish Transports?

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 10:32:08 PM »
The multi-trackers on the devilfish seem unnecessary. I mean, you have a burst cannon and drones. The cannon is a weapon, but the drones are an upgrade, like the multi-tracker, and have AI. Wouldn't they be able to shoot anyway? Targetting arrays could be a better use of points.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 01:31:14 PM »
The reason I have multitrackers is to allow me to shoot those burst cannons.  You can only shoot a weapon, as a non-fast vechicle, if you move less than 6 inches. But, as a skimmer, you can count all penetrating hits as glancing if you move over 6 inches a turn. So, by getting a multitracker, I can take advantage of both the glancing, and the shooting at the same time.

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 03:24:23 PM »
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the info  :)

Offline LoPaanRe

• World Domination - The Fun Way!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 10:29:09 PM »
I understand how the devilfishes are important now, and it may be really useful in your games, but for the most part my firewarriors don't move enough to warrant the use of the devilfish, although using it to soak up firepower is a good idea.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 10:39:41 AM »
If you can't see how important devilfish are then I highly recommend playing a very close combat oriented Khorne or Blood Angel army. They move so fast (especially with their frenzy rules) that they get on top of you really fast and you'll never shoot them enough before they hit your position hard (unless you start far FAR apart, and since most missions start you 18"-24" apart thats not far enough).

The devilfish allow you to move fast and if you do get into hth with you, they need 6's to hit and most times they can't even wound it (or need 6's)