News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Children of the Swordwind, 1500pt. Biel-Tan list  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
Children of the Swordwind, 1500pt. Biel-Tan list
« on: January 4, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »
Ok, so here's my attempt at a good 1,500 pt. Biel-Tan list
Children of the Swordwind

Farseer Thalandir
-Spirit Stones
-Doom
-Fortune
-Mind War
-Runes of Witnessing
Total: 160

8 Striking Scorpions
-Exarch Zar'lonth
-Scorpions Claw
-Stalker
-Dedicated Wave Serpent
-Twin-linked Brightlances
-Spirit Stones
Total: 145

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Rhagan
-Twin Shuriken Catapults
-Bladestorm
Total: 152

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Exlarthan
-Twin Shuriken Catapults
-Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Helias
-Twin Shuriken Catapults
-Bladestorm

Ranger Squad "Unseen"
5 Rangers
-Pathfinders
Total: 120

Fire Prism "Zelogath"
-Holofields
Total: 150

Wraithlord "Garganthrone"
-Brightlance
-Eldar Missile Launcher
Total: 155

Ok, so here's the fluff behind it:

Farseer Truquar Elenzar Thalandir is a Farseer with a different sort of vision to the rest of those on Biel-Tan: he believes that the only way to attain peace and order throughout the galaxy will be by banding together all of the 'good' races in the galaxy. Many mock Thalandir's vision, but he is a powerful and exalted Farseer on Biel-Tan, and for that he has respect, respect enough that he has managed to assemble a particularly large band of followers who are willing to join him on his quest to fulfill this vision.
Thalandir has left Craftworld Biel-Tan to start his great crusade, and many, many Eldar have gone with him. The main militant Commanders of his forces are the Autarchs Ghar'lon and El'syra, who also happen to be the twin son and daughter of Thalandir. Through the use of Webway gates, Thalandir can regularly receive reinforcements from his followers on the Craftworld.

Tactics:

Obviously Thalandir will ride with the Scorpions in the wave serpent. Wraithlord Garganthrone will go tank-hunting, while the Avatar will lead the Fearless Avenger Squads. The Prism will lay down impressive amounts of fire on the enemy, and the Rangers deployment will depend on the situation.

The reason I took these units is because they are a mixture of Elite soldiers and powerful heavy units like the Avatar and Prism. I generally don't take many Guardian units as Thalandir needs elite and powerful units to fight with him, not citizens of the craftworld.

I have also posted a bit of an Eldar Litany here, check it out!

Thanks in advance for comments and criticism etc.

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, 'Hallelujah'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
Re: Children of the Swordwind, 1500pt. Biel-Tan list
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »
OH MY GOD!!!!

Did I misplace my glasses??  No Reapers????/

*Dies from shock*

Haha jokes dude looks great.

And people it does play quite well I've versed it and watched it dominate many other players.

~Mortalis

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
I like the list, many bodies and Scoring units to throw around. It is a strong anti-horde force that can put a dent in the toughest units through sheer firepower, that's where Doom is invaluable - Termies and Meganobs alike will fall to concentrated Shuriken fire.

The weakness of that list is the relatively low amount of ranged Anti-tank, although the Avatar, Scorpio/Farseer and Wraithlord can do a mess of most things in CC. The two Brightlances in the list are invaluable to take care of AV 14, take care to not expose them to too much unneeded firepower if AV 14 situation is met, as they will become priority targets (well, maybe not the WL if he's in Cover).

The list is also vulnerable to dedicated anti-horde, you will have to be careful of that.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss the Farseer to either Fortune the Avatar instead of riding with the Scorpions (keeping in mind Outflank or Reserves) - A Fortuned Avatar is worth at least 8 Wraithguard defensive wise, not something to be dismissed.

Last thing: I'd try to find the points to upgrade on squad of Avengers with a Shimmershield/Powersword and Defend instead of Bladestorm, as one of these can withstand about as much punishment than a Council in CC if you factor the -1 Attack from Defend - Add Fortune + the Avatar's Fearlessness. ;)

So, you have some option with the supporting Farseer that I wouldn't dismiss, depending of the opponent.

Hope it helped,

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
I like the list except its low on anti-tank and anti-MEQ, I would have gone with banshees instead of scorpions, I would then try to decide if I wanted it footslogging or mechanised.

If footslogging: Exchange the prism for a second wraithlord.

If mechanised: Exchange the Wraithlord for a second prism, exchange the Avatar and a unit of Avengers for 2 Wave serpents to the remaining avengers.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

@Starky - concerning ranged anti-tank, I'm hoping that the Wraithlord firing 2 Str 8 shots a turn will be sufficient to at least shake or stun annoying and powerful enemy vehicles, giving the Avatar enough time to get close. If the Wave Serpent doesn't move flat out it has a 75% chance of hitting things with it's Brightlances (better chance than BS4), plus the Fire Prism can lay down a Str 9 shot on things if the situation calls for it, provided it doesn't badly scatter. I should have noted that most of my regular opponents generally don't take anything with an armour value greater than 12.

@Fenris - I should have mentioned that I was basically going for more of an all-comers type list here, which is why I opted for Scorps over Banshees. If I was going anti-MEQ, trust me, you'd be seeing banshees (and Reapers, per Mortalis's comment).
I like having the Wraithlord and Prism as I was trying to go for a more diverse range of units when it came to the heavy-hitters of the army- I didn't want to double up on anything. Thankyou for the comment though, as it is sound advice.

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still?
I can only imagine...

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »
The only major issue I see with the list as is would be the Wraithlord.  Don't get me wrong, its a great unit, but if your Farseer is off running around on the Wave Serpent with the Scorpions, Wraithsight becomes a factor.  It may only happen 1/6th of the time, but when it does it will severely cut down your firepower.

Just something for you to think about.

C.S.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2009, 06:28:19 AM »
The only major issue I see with the list as is would be the Wraithlord.  Don't get me wrong, its a great unit, but if your Farseer is off running around on the Wave Serpent with the Scorpions, Wraithsight becomes a factor.  It may only happen 1/6th of the time, but when it does it will severely cut down your firepower.

Just something for you to think about.

C.S.

Yes, that was something that I've been thinking about, as normally I run the Farseer with Avengers and have the Wraithlord totting along side them. Hmm, perhaps I will do that, depending on how much anti-tank I'll need and whether it will be truly vital for the Scorpions to get a good assault in.

I can only imagine...

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2009, 06:51:59 AM »
Ok, so here's my attempt at a good 1,500 pt. Biel-Tan list
Children of the Swordwind

Farseer Thalandir
-Spirit Stones, -Doom, -Fortune, -Mind War, -Runes of Witnessing

8 Striking Scorpions
-Exarch Zar'lonth, -Scorpions Claw, -Stalker
-Dedicated Wave Serpent, -Twin-linked Brightlances, -Spirit Stones
Total: 145

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Rhagan, -Twin Shuriken Catapults, -Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Exlarthan, -Twin Shuriken Catapults, -Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch Helias, -Twin Shuriken Catapults, -Bladestorm

Ranger Squad "Unseen"
5 Rangers, -Pathfinders
Total: 120

Fire Prism "Zelogath"
-Holofields
Total: 150

Wraithlord "Garganthrone"
-Brightlance, -Eldar Missile Launcher
Total: 155

Ok, so here's the fluff behind it:

Farseer Truquar Elenzar Thalandir is a Farseer with a different sort of vision to the rest of those on Biel-Tan: he believes that the only way to attain peace and order throughout the galaxy will be by banding together all of the 'good' races in the galaxy. Many mock Thalandir's vision, but he is a powerful and exalted Farseer on Biel-Tan, and for that he has respect, respect enough that he has managed to assemble a particularly large band of followers who are willing to join him on his quest to fulfill this vision.
Thalandir has left Craftworld Biel-Tan to start his great crusade, and many, many Eldar have gone with him. The main militant Commanders of his forces are the Autarchs Ghar'lon and El'syra, who also happen to be the twin son and daughter of Thalandir. Through the use of Webway gates, Thalandir can regularly receive reinforcements from his followers on the Craftworld.

Tactics:

Obviously Thalandir will ride with the Scorpions in the wave serpent. Wraithlord Garganthrone will go tank-hunting, while the Avatar will lead the Fearless Avenger Squads. The Prism will lay down impressive amounts of fire on the enemy, and the Rangers deployment will depend on the situation.

The reason I took these units is because they are a mixture of Elite soldiers and powerful heavy units like the Avatar and Prism. I generally don't take many Guardian units as Thalandir needs elite and powerful units to fight with him, not citizens of the craftworld.

I have also posted a bit of an Eldar Litany here, check it out!

Thanks in advance for comments and criticism etc.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential With only 3 dedicated Anti-tank units and 2 that can help out it think it just average in this department and thus recieves a 0.6 score.
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Absolutely nothing is dedicated Anti-MEQ... and it will suffer for this, Yes I do know that Doom combined with loads of Bullets can work; but only if those bullets have the range, mass, and ability to avoid CC. And I am not saying that you didn't make up for Dedicated anti-MEQ in many ways... but it is still just average at best and thus gets a 0.6 score.
3.. Anti-Horde potential Now here is where this list might excel; as it boasts masses of firepower with medium range, some nice template support, some Holding power and CC punch to really do well vs many types of Hords... overall in this department very little could be done to improve the list without swapping out units etc... so I give it a 0.9 score.
4.. Ranged Firepower potential Its light on ranged firepower, and not to sound silly; but the guy above who mentioned the Dark Reapers had a point... as they would help with ranged firepower and Anti-MEQ... overall inthis department though I still feel its about average as the PF's, WL, Serpent, and Prism do all contribute to its 0.6 score.
5.. Assault potential Where... just kidding, the Avatar (fearless bubble) combined with Scorpions, Fortune, Doom, WraithLord, and numbers do actually give it decent Assault potential, thus I give it a 0.7 score.
6.. Scoring Units / point level 4 scoring units is always good, I would love to see them more resilient; but its tough to do well, so I think that its above average in most regards... and I give it a 0.7 score.
7.. Durability or Resilience Like I jsut said, the troops are a tad soft, Yes the Fearless Bubble can help; but a samrt opponent will know how to break those units down and/or prevent them from scoring too often. I like the fact of the numbers, potential, etc though, so overall I would give it a 0.8 score.
8.. Flexability It has a little of everything; but some diverstity in the Troops units might actually help it a little... also, it will only play to certain styles, and things like a Refused Flank, or Pincer attack are near impossible, thus I score it slightly below average with a 0.5 score. 
9.. Mission Capabiliy An autarch instead of the Avatar might help for some missions etc... but it would suck away from teh theme,... thus I think its pretty decent when all other things are considered and it should do well in most local areas. I give it a 0.8 score.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme Its definately Aspect orientated; although it could be even more so... I think it has a little uniqueness to go with its Biel-Tan theme, and its is clearly defined as Hybrid, not Mech or Footslogger, so well done in this regard... I give it a 0.8 for synergy, dynamics and theme combined.

Rating = 7.0/10 Some would score it differently; but I see it as a great "Fun" list with some potential (with tweeks) to become competive although I doubt that it would go as far as actually Winning an event.

CaHG
« Last Edit: January 5, 2009, 07:17:11 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2009, 03:49:21 AM »
moc-score

Are we back to doing that again?  Crap, I'm falling further behind!
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.