News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bat reps from 40Konline tournament (now with all three reports)  (Read 5218 times)

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
Hi
Here are 3 quick battle reports from my day at the UK 40Konline tournament. All the guys were great fun to play against and very sporting and all minor rules problems were quickly resolved- just how games (and tournaments  ) should be. All the pictures are taken at the start of turns unless otherwise stated. Click on any picture to see a larger version.
If anything is not clear or confusing, please let me know.

My list was a hybrid Eldar list as follows:

HQ
==

Farseer, runes of Warding, singing spear, doom 98

Elite
=====

6x striking scorpions (inc exarch, claw and stalker) 128
6x firedragons (inc exarch, crack shot, dragon's breath) 113
8x Harlequins (inc shadowseer, death jester, 7x kisses) 212

Troops
======

5x pathfinders 120
5x pathfinders 120
3x guardian jetbikes (inc shuriken cannon) 76

Fast Attack
===========

5x warp spiders (inc exarch, additional death spinner, power blades) 137
1x vyper (missile launcher) 65

Heavy support
=============

1x Falcon (holofield, spirit stones, shuriken cannon)  165
1x Fire prism (holofield, spirit stones) 160
2x vibro cannon 100

total 1494

There is a thread discussing the choices for this list here:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=155050.0

All missions would be gamma level and we would be told what each one would be before it started. I hope my accounts are accurate, if I played you and I get anything wrong, do let me know.

Game 1
Opponent: Anthony (from Bracknell Forest gamers, not the forums)
Army: Drop trooping IG
Composition (as near as I can recall): Griffon mortar (w smoke shells), 2 Leman russes: one with 24” gun, 2 plasma cannons and a lascannon and one with 60” gun and heavy bolters, 2 autocannon sentinels, lots of drop troopers: some flamers, grenade launchers, meltas, plasma (5 squads) and a drop trooping command squad. Iron discipline and many voxes ensure they are never going to run.
Mission: Take and hold.

Turn 1
=====

click for a bigger picture where you can read the text!
The black circle denotes the objective.

This is the deployment at the start of the game (my farseer is with the harlequins). The trench was 4+ cover for troops and the green areas were 5+ lvl2 cover.

I won the roll for first turn and elected to go second as most of his army was deep striking. Guard movement was uneventful: the russes and the sentinels shuffled forward. Shooting was unlucky too, the griffon failed to damage anything, the short range russ missed and the long range russ scored a direct hit on the viper but only succeeded in blowing off the missile launcher even with ordnance  (the 2 partials on the jetbikes missed).

The eldar turn went much better. The skimmers and jetbikes moved past the building and the spiders moved to where they had been. The vibro cannons prevented the griffon from shooting, and the rest of the army glanced the plasma russ and one of the sentinels preventing them from moving or shooting.

Turn 2
=====

The drop troops start arriving. 4 squads turn up: a melta squad, 2 flamer squads and a grenade launcher squad. The flamers land perfectly in front of the vibrocannon crew and incinerate the 1000 year old artisans leaving the guns untouched. The second lot of flamer land in the trench near the objective and very near the pathfinders- flamers render their cover save useless and the all die in fiery agony. The grenade squad strike midway between the harlequins and jetbikes, their shooting kills 4 harlequins and wounds the farseer but his Ld means they hold. Things went less well for the melta squad- clearly whoever did the first 3 strikes went on a teabreak- landing on top of the prism ensured they took no further part and meant the tank needed repainting. All the vehicles were ineffective: either they could not shoot or missed or the trench absorbed the impacts.

Things were heating up, but more targets gave the Eldar many options. The harlequins moved to the back of the board to keep them out of reach of the approaching tanks and to make deep striking near them risky- unfortunately it left them 2” out or range of the sentinel. The pathfinders stun the griffon and the vipers kill 2 of the grenade launcher squad. The spiders headed towards the flamer squad, shooting kills 3 (carapace armour paid off) and a decent assault distance roll of 5 gets them into contact. The powerblade exarch kills one and the squad kill another, winning the combat but these guardsmen were tough and shrug it off on Ld10. The scorpions show them how it should be done, killing 5 (only half the squad was within range) and running the rest down, a decent massacre move got them back into the trench). The falcon zooms forward, deploying their anti tank present in front of the russ and its shooting destroys one of the sentinels. Unluckily for the flamer squad the dragon exarch’s flamer catches them on the way to the tank killing 8 and the melta guns blow off the russ’s turret, left plasma cannon, immobilise it and leave it unable to shoot next turn.
The vyper decides that discretion is the better part of valour and decides to preserve its scoring status by hiding behind the building for the rest of the game.

Turn 3
=====

Things were getting tense and only one more squad arrived this turn, again landing perfectly between the pathfinders and dragons, right next to the falcon. Their massed plasma fire got through the falcon’s thin armour 5 times but only succeeded in destroying the pulse laser and preventing it from shooting. The remains of the flamer squad shoot and assault the dragons killing 4, the officer showing that he must have earned the Hororifica Imperialis he was wearing, continuing the fight on despite horrific wounds. His companion was less fortunate, being no match for the speed of the eldar, despite the loss, aspect warriors are harded in many battles and held their ground.  In the spider/guard combat one man goes down but they easily hold. The 60” gun of the russ claims 2 scorpions and a jetbike.

The tide was turning, but it was no time for the Eldar to slacken off.  The scorpions head towards the dragons to rescue them, the falcon turbo boosts out of the way next to the griffon and the vyper continues to skulk behind the building. The harlequins edge forward, allowing the deathjester to stun and blow the autocannon off the remaining sentinel. The jetbikes miss, but cheekily use the blind side of the russ as cover from the other tank. Pathfinders show their worth against the griffon by glancing twice and penetrating once, it blows up. Unfortunately for the guard, deepstriking and a functional prism do not go well together- 8 of the plasma squad die. Things went much less well for the guard/spider combat- one spider went down and they lost combat (clearly the exarch needs more practice with the powerblades) but did not break.

Turn 4
=====

(At this point Anthony realised that he had forgotten to roll for his deep striking command squad for the previous 2 turns but at least they turn up now…)

The command squad again lands perfectly behind the nearly wrecked russ, hopefully safe from harm, they are an assault squad so they should have time to get stuck in near the objective.  The flamer squad hold their ground against the spiders and the sentinel runs towards the objective, hoping to stamp on some troops. The dragons finally win their combat and a 5 for consolidation means they are getting nearer to the command squad than the commander would prefer.
The farseer felt the battle was won, but how many eldar would die in the clear up?
The dragons and jetbikes destroy the command squad, the prism takes out the damaged russ and the death jesters destroys the sentinel. The spiders finally win their combat and the snipers kill one of the remaining 2 guardsmen on the field.

Turn 5
=====

The russ misses and the guardsman is ineffective.

The snipers gun down the last trooper and everything with an anti tank weapon heads for the russ.

Turn 6
=====

The russ, realising it can’t avoid all the anti tank weapons,  moves forward for a shot at the dragons (melta weapon plus bombs are not good and being stationary for auto hits would be worse). It open fires with the heavy bolters, smearing the dragons thinly across the ground.

Everything legs it towards the objective apart from the jetbikes and the farseer. They move for a rear armour shot at the russ and he separates from the harlies and heads towards the tank.  Everyone else has a model within 6” of the marker (the ruling for the VPs, note we did not bother physically moving the spiders as they were easily within range). Shooting starts, the prism misses, the jetbikes hit but the shuriken cannon fails to get through even the thin rear armour, can the farseer save the day? The 6 he rolled for difficult terrain leaves him 11.5” from the tank, but he is still in the front arc for the singing spear…. He shoots…. he scores… the tank blows up leaving nothing left.

End of the game picture:

Not many Eldar died, but a single life is worth more than a battalion of guard…

Results:
Eldar  2509
Guard 333

Men of the match:
Eldar: everyone performed admirably so I can’t really pick anyone.
IG:  The flamer squad, they destroyed the vibro cannons and tied up the spiders for  3 turns, including winning combat once, despite the exarch having powerblades.

Game 2

Opponent: Tim O (don’t know forum name, sorry)
Army: footslogging Eldar
Composition (as near as I can recall):
HQ: Avatar, Farseer with guide, fortune and stones
Elites: 10 harlequins with everything (kisses, death jester, troupe master and shadowseer)
Troops: Wraithguard, spiritseer (conceal), 8 avengers with exarch and dual catapults
Heavy support: wraithlord (brightlance and missile launcher), 5 reapers (inc exarch with tempest launcher and crack shot)
Mission: secure and control (we ended up with 5 loot counters, they are the small computer/ammo chests you can see in the photos)

This looked quite interesting as I have not tried this list against Eldar and have not played against wraithguard for ages. Nicely themed all foot slogger too.

I asked Tim O how he would prefer to handle the interaction of runes of warding and witnessing. He said he normally played “roll 4 dice, discard the highest and add the remaining 3” so we went with this. After what happened in the game, I should work out the statistics for whether this is a good option (wait and see).

Hills block LOS, walls give a 4+ cover save for troops just behind them, green stuff is lvl 2 area terrain. I won the roll for first turn and chose to go second- most of Tim O’s army is short ranged, my tanks are behind hills and the advantages of last turn for objectives was too good to pass up.

Turn 1
=====

black circles denote the objectives.

The farseer fortuned the wraithguard and tried to guide the wraithlord but suffered a perils tests (gotta love that ghost helm). The avengers, Avatar, wraithguard and harlequins all moved forward. Shooting allowed the avengers to get behind the wall and the wraithlord to shake the falcon. The reapers tempest launcher killed all the vibrocannon crew (nasty- now a high priority target).

My farseer elected to not use any power given the risks involved. Everything moved forward (the scorpions in a conga line between the pathfinders- this will be important later). The prism was placed perfectly to shoot round the wall at the reapers and the small blast hit them all, but a single 1 to wound kept the exarch alive (grrr). Shooting from the bikes and pathfinders killed  3 avengers. The other snipers failed to stop the reaper exarch. No one runs because of the avatar. The vyper missed the wraithguard.

Turn 2
=====

Tim O’s farseer guides the wraithlord and suffers another perils test (three 1s out of 3 dice!!) but again lives… Everyone strides forward. The avengers move and fleet into assault with the pathfinders killing 3, the remaining 2 holds their ground. The wraithlord shakes the prism. The harlequins get a great fleet roll and and elect to assault the scorpions, they kill everyone in range (2 models due to the conga line) and the scorpions break and run. The harlies consolidate into the pathfinders. Now I am seeing the other side of things.

My farseer is frantically trying not to think in case his head explodes :). The scorpions rally. The prism hides behind the hill and the vyper moves to the other side of the hill for another shot at the wraithguard (it misses…). The jetbikes and falcon are ineffective. The warpspiders assault the avengers killing them. The farseer leaves the harleqins and they move, fleet and assault the enemy harlequins (somewhere I can hear the fluff crying…). Furious charge completely hands the combat to them (that and 8 rending hits from 7 kisses!!)- all but the shadowseer dies and he then fails his outnumbering saves (fearless due to the avatar). The harlies consolidate 1”.

Turn 3
=====

The farseer’s luck ran out- another perils test and he dies (runes of warding are very nasty), so I can now use doom. The avatar moves and assault the harlequins, going simultaneously, killing 4. Another unbelievable 6 rends later and the avatar is dead. The reaper exarch kills all the warp spiders (how I hate the tempest launcher…). The wraithlord blows the vyper out of the sky.

Finally free the farseer dooms the wraithguard. The scorpions start their trek towards an objective near the board edge going behind the wood. The falcon heads towards the rear objective and shoots at the reaper exarch, finally killing him. The pathfinders run round the house to hide from the wraithguard (hopeful I know). Everything that can shoot, shoots at the wraithguard, killing 2 of them.

Turn 4
=====

The wraithlord shake the prism. The wraithguard move up and shoot the harlequins, killing 3, the remaining shadowseer breaks and runs.

The wraithguard get doomed again and a further 2 die to shooting. The falcon travels towards the objective but fails to hurt the wraithlord.

Turn 5
=====

The wraithlord moves towards the objective and shakes the falcon. The wraithguard kill the remaining pathfinders.

Doom and shooting leaves on 2 wraithguard and the spiritseer. The dragons deploy behind the falcon, but forget to shoot the wraithlord (oh dear…).

Turn 6
=====

The wraithlord fails its wraithsight and just sits there. The wraithguard try to hide in the house garden.

I completely forgo shooting to run or turboboost everything I can, claiming all 5 objectives (the lord was 2” out from one of them)
end of the game picture:

Results:
Eldar (me)  2637
Eldar (Tim O) 694

Men of the match:
Eldar (me) : Must be the harlies for their rending performance
Eldar (Tim O):  The wraithguard were virtually unstoppable, but the reaper exarch did kill the vibrocannons and the spiders on his own.

Hmm that took rather longer than I planned. The third game will have to wait for another day (hopefully before I go on holiday on Wednesday!)

Well, I am now back from holiday and so here is the final battle report as requested. It is in the next but one post as I have exceeded the maximum post length with this (20000 characters!)....

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:07:29 PM by small_furry_spider »

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Re: Bat reps from 40Konline tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »
Great reports (except there is one missing... ahem :P) it is really interesting when you read them because it seems like the matches are so much closer than the results suggest, I guess that was the same as our game really.

I love the use of some of your tactics, like waiting for Tim O's Farseer to blow himself up before beginning to doom things yourself, I think that was an excellent judgment call. And I think special mention has to go to Tim O's Tempest Launcher because from what I heard from everybody playing him it was clearing up half the board by itself!

I'm really glad i didn't get drawn against Tim O's foot slogging Eldar, looking at his list my Necrons would had a real uphill struggle all game. The only way I could fathom getting rid of those Wraithguard are engaging them with the Deceiver, but that is an issue itself...

Keep it up, as I'm still waiting for your last account like everybody else! :P 

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
Sorry, it looks like it will have to wait until I get back, unless I can find internet access while I am away. I have made a few notes so I should not forget too much!

Game 3
Opponent: Chris (g00gle5)
Army: Necrons
Composition (as near as I can recall):
HQ: Deceiver, Lord with staff of light, res orb and veil
Troops: 2x 10 and 1x 11 necron warriors
fast attack: 4 destroyer
heavy support: Monolith
Mission: Recon

I must apologize at this point because I got very involved in a tense game and forgot to take enough pictures (only 3). This may mean I will get more of the fine details wrong, but hopefully you won't mind to much to preserve the narrative :)

Turn 1
=====

This is the deployment at the start of the game (my farseer is with the vibrocannons to boost them to LD10 for protection against the deceive power). I had to deploy first, and the vibrocannons were the maximum 15" forward to push the necrons back. The deceiver was only able to move one unit before the game started- the destroyers. The monolith elected to deepstrike. It was dawn and so g00gle5 elected to give me the first turn as he should have been safe from the eldar guns....

note this picture is taken after my movement in turn 1 (oops)

The short range of most of the necron guns meant that the Eldar could move forward a fair bit with little risk (see above picture). Due to deployment conditions, Doom is out of range.

Despite it being dawn, this did not seriously impede the Eldar shooting. I consistently rolled above 30" for visibility and this allowed the pathfinders to wound the Ctan twice and the jetbikes, falcon and deathjester to down 4 necrons from the squad nearest the corner.  The vibrocannon hit the Ctan and the destroyers, killing one of them.The prism could not see anything in range.

3 necrons get back up, but the destroyer is gone for good. The Ctan heads towards the vibrocannon battery. The Lord veils with a squad and lands perfectly in front of the fire prism. The other two squads move away from the rapidly approaching warp spiders. The destroyers turbo boost into the eldar half of the board.

Shooting. The Lord and his squad really need to shake the prism or things will go very badly for them next turn. A lot of misses, but 2 glances ensure it won't be firing back. Deceive on the vibrocannon crew fails because the farseer stiffens their resolve (rolled a 9)

Turn 2
=====

This photo was taken at the end of my turn 2:

The opportunity to cripple the necron army by killing the Lord and his accompanying squad is far too good an opportunity to miss, focusing on this for a turn should be worth it. With that in mind I try to doom the squad. The farseer struggles with the forces of the warp and loses control but his ghost helm saves him (double 6 for the test). Everything moves so it can get a bead on the target squad apart from the spiders and the scorpions (never going to be in range...) who move up behind the hill.

Shooting. The vibrocannon opens up the shooting, downing a warrior and wounding the Lord (g00gle5 elected to not join the Lord to the squad to protect him from (most) shooting and assaults but this makes it worse against this particular weapon).  Everything else opens up on the squad and takes them all down, aided by 4 AP1 wounds from the snipers and the warriors failing most of their armour saves. This denies them the WBB roll and leaves the Lord quite exposed.

The necron squads at the back of the board head towards the central cover and one of the squads enters it. The deceiver continues to head for the vibrocannon battery and the Lord makes for the relative safety of the pathfinders. The monolith does not arrive.
Shooting is relatively brief, the staff of light takes out 2 pathfinders (who hold) and the Farseer again protects the vibrocannon battery from Deceive. The destroyers again shoot the prism but the holofields prevent them from doing any serious damage.
The Lord assaults one squad of pathfinders, killing 2 and the remaining one runs away. He consolidates into the second unit.

Turn 3
=====

This photo is taken at the end of turn 3:

I separate the farseer from the cannons in case the deceiver is in charge range (I should have remembered that he must be just out of range as he had to start 24" away) and doom the deceiver. The warp spiders and scorpions move towards the warrior squads in cover. The vyper and prism move along the eldar board edge and swap relative positions. The falcon heads towards the warrior squads. The jetbikes move behind the wall and the harlequins move behind the hill.
The spiders shoot into the warrior squad in cover but poor rolling only take down 2 models (oh dear...). Everything that can, shoots at the deceiver knocking another wound off it.
The Lord kills a couple of pathfinders who hold.

The warrior squad in cover moves forward to rapid fire the scorpions and the other squad moves behind the wall to rapid fire the spiders. The destroyers move the the Eldar table edge for a shot at the tanks and the Ctan moves towards the harlequins. The monolith does not arrive.

Shooting. Deceive causes the vibrocannons to run. The warriors behind the wall shoot the spiders and wipe them out (helped by my inability to roll above a 2 for saves) and the other squad kills 4 of the scorpions, who hold. The destroyers down the vyper.
The Lord finishes off the pathfinders.

Turn 4
=====

The vibrocannon battery rallies and the Farseer dooms the Deceiver. The prism heads across the board to get a shot at the warriors and the falcon moves 12" towards the warriors and unloads the firedragons. The jetbikes are sacrificed to stop the Deceiver by being moved into an arc just in front of it. This will prevent it from moving nearer to the rest of the Eldar line and allows the Farseer to safely get within singing spear range. The Harlequins move a bit closer to the Ctan. The vyper moves away from the destroyers down the board edge.

Shooting leaves the Deceiver on only 1 wound. The fire dragons vaporize more than half a squad of necrons.  The 2 remaining scorpions assault the squad in cover downing 2 and winning combat (they hold).

The monolith arrives and chose a location just above the yellow tape measure in the picture from turn 3. This would have allowed it to hit the jetbikes, harlies, farseer and vyper. Unfortunately it scatters 9" directly away from all of them (almost directly towards where the necron lord is standing in picture 3). The destoyers move towards the vyper, the monolith veils the squad in combat with the scorpions who them move towards the harlequins. The Lord shuffles around ineffectively (there are no nearby units to veil and in its current position it is not the closest target).

The monolith is out or range of everything. The recently teleported squad tries to shoot the harlies, but rolls an ineffective 10" for visibility. The destroyers continue this "lucky" streak when they unload into the vibrocannon crew who are sitting out in the open, but only killing 2 crew and one of the guns

The warrior squad hit by the dragons decides it will be better off in assault than exchanging fire with melta weapons and a heavy flamer so forgo shooting. The warriors win combat against the dragons who hold, the Ctan assaults and destroys the jetbikes and consolidates towards the wall (this places it just in front of the recently portaled warrior squad- this will be important in a minute)

Turn 5
=====

Once again the Ctan is doomed. The scorpions move to rescue the beleaguered dragons and the harlies head towards the portalled squad of warriors. The tanks move for shots at the Ctan.

The Farseer shows that he has dealt with the necrotyr before- his singing spear penetrates the living metal skin banishing the Ctan. The resultant explosion kills 9 of the warrior squad and only 2 harlequins. The prism misses the destroyers and the vibrocannon misses the monolith.
The assault phase spells the end for the Necrons, the Harlequins kill of the last squad member and the scorpions and dragons kill 3 necrons, dropping them well below phase out.
The Necrons disappear.

Turn 6
=====

As the necrons had phased out, everything that was able to, ran for the board edge. The falcon, harlies and dragons made it into range.

Results:
Eldar  1995
Guard 582

Men of the match:
Eldar: The farseer, his Ld kept the vibrocannons from running the first turn, repeated dooming of the Ctan enabled S6 weapons to seriously wound it and his singing spear finished it off.
Necrons: The Lord, his orb kept some necrons alive the first turn, his veiled squad's shooting prevented the prism from firing and he killed 2 squads of pathfinders on his own in assault

Overall
=====

The 3 games gave me 3 victorious slaughter results and a grand total of 7141 victory points, winning the tournament.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:05:58 PM by small_furry_spider »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
Nice BatReps, and nice to see Diagram and pictures to compliment all the good writing. Well Done.

I have a personal request for you small_furry_spider: would you mind if I add your list to the "Big List of Eldar Lists" and put it up for review. This would involve 3 Ratings by (mov065, Chaplain Swordwind, and Gutstikk) as well as others being able to view the List and ratings. I ask this as I feel your list has certain aspects to it (the trimming out of Eldrad, etc) that are not often illistrated. Of course, if you do decide to allow my use of your list for ratings, I would offer you ample time to add your "Fluff", etc --- in order to make it more well rounded.

CaHG.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »
I am not sure that I would say there is a perils test if you get three ones, or even two ones when using the three dice.  I would say there should only be perils tests for getting 12 or higher.  The perils test is for when you get a 2 which can't happen when you have three dice.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
... it is really interesting when you read them because it seems like the matches are so much closer than the results suggest, I guess that was the same as our game really.

You cannot tell how strategically each player performed by looking at the numbers. Usually, you need a turn by turn commentary from each player. This is why I enjoy watching games live in a store.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
Nice BatReps, and nice to see Diagram and pictures to compliment all the good writing. Well Done.

I have a personal request for you small_furry_spider: would you mind if I add your list to the "Big List of Eldar Lists" and put it up for review. This would involve 3 Ratings by (mov065, Chaplain Swordwind, and Gutstikk) as well as others being able to view the List and ratings. I ask this as I feel your list has certain aspects to it (the trimming out of Eldrad, etc) that are not often illistrated. Of course, if you do decide to allow my use of your list for ratings, I would offer you ample time to add your "Fluff", etc --- in order to make it more well rounded.

CaHG.

Again, sorry I have not replied to this sooner, but I have been on holiday. Yes you can add my list to your ratings list.

Oh, and third report now added.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:10:41 AM by small_furry_spider »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Bat reps from 40Konline tournament (now with all three reports)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
HQ
==

Farseer, runes of Warding, singing spear, doom 98

Elite
=====

6x striking scorpions (inc exarch, claw and stalker) 128
6x firedragons (inc exarch, crack shot, dragon's breath) 113
8x Harlequins (inc shadowseer, death jester, 7x kisses) 212

Troops
======

5x pathfinders 120
5x pathfinders 120
3x guardian jetbikes (inc shuriken cannon) 76

Fast Attack
===========

5x warp spiders (inc exarch, additional death spinner, power blades) 137
1x vyper (missile launcher) 65

Heavy support
=============

1x Falcon (holofield, spirit stones, shuriken cannon)  165
1x Fire prism (holofield, spirit stones) 160
2x vibro cannon 100

total 1494
moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Well, apart from the Pathfinders the whole list has Anti-tank or at least Side/rear armour and even PF's on a good day can get some armour (if their lucky) so overall I think, Excelletn (1)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Not much that can't deal with MEQ even if its not dedcated AP=3 shooting, etc... I still think its Very Good (.9)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Here I see some good and some bad... Vibros being good, Stationary PF's being bad... Overall though its about Average (.6)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: A really nice mix overall, and I think that any additional Shooting would actually take away from other things, so Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: Pretty wel the same comment as above; but geared to CC, Good (.8 )
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 11 Scoring unti's is Excellent, and aside form so many Min/Max things I would say awesome. Due to the M/M deal though its just Very Good (.9)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Some seriously solid things to go witht he fragile, but overall through the use of terrain, range, etc, I would have to say its Good (.8 )
8.. Flexibility: Other fast lists will gie it trouble especially if they have more durability, but other than that, I see it being effective against pretty well anything as long as you get a bit of terrain to start with, so its Good (.8 )
9.. Mission Capability: Escalation will hurt. possibly seriously, it would also suffer if it had to hold its ground.... thus its just Average (.6)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: As Hybrid lists go its pretty decent, I do see an Autarch making it a lot more "All Scenerio" and a few other tweeks; but overall it Good (.8 )

Rating = 8/10 Others may score it differentlyp but I would say its decent for any local game and competitive enough to take to most other environments as long as you don't run into a few bad mis-matches.

CaHG
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:28:38 PM by moc065 »

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
One interesting further thing I discovered about this list after I started using it was its pinning potential. While pinning is normally not worth building a list around, it just so happens that many of the weapons I chose for different reasons also pin:
EML (plasma) -for tank hunting and cutting down eldar/guard/orks/Tau
2x pathfinders -MC hunting, shooting any troops
vibrocannons -vehicle killing (especially skimmers)
Harlequin death jester -light tank/skimmer hunting plus general opportunity shots on the way to a target.

This could realistically mean up to 6 pinning tests a turn (assuming the vibrocannons can hit 2 units and everybody wounds...), which should give 0.5 pins a turn against Ld10, and twice that against Ld9. Obviously it is nowhere near this good in virtually all practical situations, but as the effect is "free" as all the weapons were chosen for different reasons, it is a nice bonus and is quite devastating against low Ld armies.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »
Very nice reports, and well played. The perfect way to finish off a necron army, as well....very cinematic.

Only comment:

Everything else opens up on the squad and takes them all down, aided by 4 AP1 wounds from the snipers and the warriors failing most of their armour saves. This denies them the WBB roll and leaves the Lord quite exposed.

It probably shouldn't have done.

The necron squad removed was practically in flank-to-flank contact with the second squad. If a necron has another squad of the same type within 6" at the start of the turn when We'll Be Back is rolled, it can stand up and try and join it, even if it wasn't the squad it started with. Wiping out a squad doesn't make a difference. It's usually curtains for stuff like destroyers as there's usually only one squad of them, or for isolated units that have used Veil of Darkness to do teleportyness and are left exposed, but not for the phalanx's line units (like here. I'd guess maybe half of them should have got a We'll Be Back roll)
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:08:43 AM »
Very nice reports, and well played. The perfect way to finish off a necron army, as well....very cinematic.
Thanks!

Only comment:

Everything else opens up on the squad and takes them all down, aided by 4 AP1 wounds from the snipers and the warriors failing most of their armour saves. This denies them the WBB roll and leaves the Lord quite exposed.

It probably shouldn't have done.
Ah, this is a problem of me not remembering to take enough photos, which made things less clear than they should be (I am sure if it had been a less tense game I would have taken more :) )

The necron unit on the right hand side of the first picture which has disappeared in the second one has been veiled by the Lord to the other side of the board. This is the unit that was wiped out- you can see a single black model left near the vyper, prism and pathfinders, this is the Lord. As there were no other warriors within more than 24" they were all dead.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: 1
It's nice to have the link to all of the dialogue that went into building this list, accompanied by a brief explanation of the tournament rules. I would like to encourage this sort of rough-draft approach, where a poster first gathers a lot of tactical input before a match-up and then adds some info about how the finished list actually performs. It is much easier to support choices as good or bad when accompanied by theory and practice. Before players request a critique, they should have undergone such a process of development and refinement, and it is always helpful to support it with battlefield info [as playstyle, in my opinion, can drastically alter the performance of units otherwise considered poor selections].

Composition: .5
Nice, inexpensive HQ. Only one non-scoring unit. Light on troops choices though, while heavy on Heavy Support and Elites [something many take issue with when facing Eldar]. You've got two decent combat units, some nice AT options, and are a little soft on the horde weapons. Good maneuverability makes up for this a little. So, you've got a list that's a little weak vs numbers, and a little weak on points distribution, but all in all, it's not bad.

Utility: 1
I'm rounding up a bit here, most of your units have been upgraded but I think they are all sensible upgrades given the nature of these units. You haven't gone overboard anywhere, and will make use of everything you've included. While you could trim out some options, enabling you to add a unit, it might not actually boost the effectiveness of this force in doing so. So while I feel hesitant awarding perfect utility score for a list with so many upgraded squads, I'd feel worse about giving it an average score. All in all a nice job, and it's good to see some discrimination in upgrade selection.

Flexibility: .5
Nice flexibility included in some of your unit selections, but other selections by their very nature prevent a perfect score. Pathfinder squads, in duplicate, means a large number of points invested in squads that share some severe weak points with few opportunities to evade their enemy [or doing so at the expense of doing damage, which is never good]. Guardian jetbikes at the minimum size I think have to be played a particular way, and while they can be quite helpful [especially concerning your more static elements], a canny opponent will be able to predict their movements quite easily [as they seek to avoid confrontation in most cases]. The vyper faces the same issues, and while it has range to fall back on, depending on the enemy disposition it can prove quite difficult to avoid incoming fire and the lack of a second weapon means it can effectively be ignored the first time it takes damage [in most cases]. Knowing all missions were gamma helps the Vibros immensely.

Ingenuity: .5
With three massacres it would be folly to deny your tactical prowess, but I would have liked to see a breakdown of the essential strategies you thought to employ before the match, to see how well you executed them. Consider this score rounded down; obviously you know what you're up to, but that doesn't mean we necessarily do. I give you full credit for being able to think on your feet around situations as they came up. Basically you are getting the points for backup plans, and missing the points for unit-by-unit strategy and implementation. Loved the battle reports though.

Total Score: 3.5, for a good list
If you wanted to take this up to the next level, review what you did in the game, and include some mention of basic strategies for each units as well as how they can [or did] work together to get out of tight situations. This may not be immediately clear for some people, and also it is better to have an idea of what you need to do before battle starts, so that it is easier to adapt to the problems you are presented with during the match.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:48:47 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
Sorry I took soo long; but I got it scored above... And I do think that with a little terrain, luck, and good tactics this list is decent for most competitions, etc... although its not quite there in regard to a Grand Tournament, etc,,, its probably more fun to play than those lists are.

CaHG

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
Sorry I took soo long; but I got it scored above... And I do think that with a little terrain, luck, and good tactics this list is decent for most competitions, etc... although its not quite there in regard to a Grand Tournament, etc,,, its probably more fun to play than those lists are.

CaHG

Thanks for scoring it. I would say that it is fair assessment- it is more fun than GT. As the tournament this was written for was all gamma, escalation would not have been a problem. An autarch would certainly make it more versatile in this respect.