News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)  (Read 15411 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Re: I'm Baaaaaaack! (With a New Game, Too!)
« Reply #20 on: January 4, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Okay, since we have five players, I am now putting a time limit on other entries. In 24 hours I'll select the characters, and then we can get rolling. Stay tuned :)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »
After a short delay thanks to a power outage, the game is ready to begin. This thread will now become the OOC discussion thread, while a knew thread will be created momentarily for the start of the game. As we have had no other entries, the choice is simple. Khemri, Nightwalker, JoBob, Azore and Killskin, welcome to the Sixth Plane.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #22 on: January 6, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
How well do we know everyone else?  I've assumed we know names, as Alexander referred to at least one of us by name in the story.

Also, do we know how powerful our magic is?  Like, did it work in the real world  and was it as strong as it will be in the Sixth Plane?

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #23 on: January 6, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
You all know each other's names, and you've been planning the ritual for three months. You probably don't know things particularly personal, but you know mannerisms, voices, common expressions, mainly things you'd pick up from conversation.

I'd say you were all beyond simple acquaintanceship and would be "friends" were you not conducting a ritual to help you become near-gods.

You can use your magic on Earth but it requires precise thoughts, hand movements, spoken words. As you will find out as you progress through the game, in the Sixth Plane, which is the actual source of your magic on Earth, things are a lot easier for you. For the moment though you won't know that.

Also, a bit of background on Alexander:

He practices the discipline of Litany. He possesses the greatest skill of your group, and was responsible for its formation. He's an average height man with blonde hair and a matching beard. He is often calm, and seems perfectly composed at the worst of times. At the time of the ritual, he wore a dark blue robe. You know that he was once a a man of the church; a priest, but strayed from that path when he discovered texts on the Sixth Plane. You have no knowledge of his family, if he has any.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2012, 07:14:02 PM by Saracenar »

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
I have this overwhelming urge to shackle it to my character and name it Fred. :P

Any thoughts on what to do anyone? Obviously there are some weird walls that won't let us leave.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
Being a demonologist, I'm kinda wondering exactly what my character does and doesn't know about demons.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Most of the benefits of Demonology are passive. As you've seen, you can sense the presence of demons and vaguely assess their power. I'll handle that part.

You've refined your shackling techniques to work easier on demons. Another passive ability.

Your knowledge, as far as narrative is concerned, consists mainly of "trivialities" in relation to the game but do translate to passive benefits.

You know everything about demons that I provided originally. So this:

Demons are usually corporeal beings. Malicious and greedy, they lust for power, and fresh souls to consume. They are mostly beings of fire or earth. While there are plenty of powerful, near almighty demons, they are far more commonly seen as unintelligible brutes or bloodthirsty runts. They are dangerous and deceptive, and not to be trusted, for they always have their own agendas at heart.

It's hard to...translate actual knowledge beyond what I've given. Because of the way all entities are unique individuals, there are few properties about them that can be said of all of them. That being said...

You find it easier to interact with demons. Having summoned and studied many entities on Earth, you know some common traits between demons, those being gullibility, a lack of courage, strong intelligence, respect, subtly and/or manners (in lesser demons such as foliots and agjonates), greed, cunning, anger, instability and/or a thirst for power (with most demons), and a desire to control others, long memories (for an entity, that's really long), and the tendency to hold life-long grudges (in greater demons such as some djinn, some afrits and marids).

If you have any more questions, or specific ones about something I may not have touched on, please ask.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
That was all that I wanted and more. Thank-you!
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
How does healing work? Will my character`s performance suffer? Does acquiring soul energy affect the healing process?

Just curious seeing how I was bitten.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:48 PM »
Three things to say/ask:

1) Just making sure I interpreted Shadowguise correctly in that it's a physical change and not just an illusion (which would be what Deceive is).

2) I didn't want to just assume that the spell goes off correctly, but assuming that it does (how long does it take once the rote is performed?), I'd imagine I can beat Kane to the lunging attack, otherwise I'll still attack but try to not hit him.  Also, I'm going to try and not eat any part of the demon, as I can't imagine that's good for me.  Mostly, I'd go for pinning with a bit of puncture or bashing wounds.

3) How, exactly, do we shackle demons?  I'd imagine that's coming up soon, so is there a thing we have to do or do we just tell you we'd like to shackle it?

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
All excellent questions. Knew they'd be coming up about now.

How does healing work? Will my character`s performance suffer? Does acquiring soul energy affect the healing process?

Your bodies work the same here as they do on Earth, except that they do not need food, water or air to function (so you won't ever feel hungry or thirsty, and your bodies will be fine without oxygenated blood.

Beyond that, if you lose enough blood you will still die. If you are severely injured you will die, and so on. Your wounds will heal naturally over time, as they would on Earth (in most cases). But healing can be done.

Soul Energy does indeed help you heal. Absorbing some of an entity's energy will heal you. For a minor cut like you have just suffered, you won't need much from even an agjonate. But just be aware that those entities need energy too, and you could completely destroy them if you take too much (of course, no one's stopping you from doing that).

Outside of sacrificing entities, you can bandage your wounds using scraps of your clothing, find a spirit or demon capable of healing injuries, cauterise wounds with fire, stitch them up (if you can get a needle and thread from somewhere) etc. Not many options present themselves at the moment but the bite won't do much long term damage if you bandage it.

1) Just making sure I interpreted Shadowguise correctly in that it's a physical change and not just an illusion (which would be what Deceive is).

That is correct. Although more powerful entities may see through your guise and illusions (which could be a disadvantage). You will also be taxed heavily for larger and less human forms, and of course, how long you hold them for. You won't be able to die from it though.

2) I didn't want to just assume that the spell goes off correctly, but assuming that it does (how long does it take once the rote is performed?), I'd imagine I can beat Kane to the lunging attack, otherwise I'll still attack but try to not hit him.  Also, I'm going to try and not eat any part of the demon, as I can't imagine that's good for me.  Mostly, I'd go for pinning with a bit of puncture or bashing wounds.

Spells affecting yourself usually won't give you any trouble. As long as you write as though you're attempting the spell, and your intentions concerning its use are also presented, I can determine whether it succeeds and what happens thereafter. But usually, shape-changing won't be hard to pull off.

If you think your character is confident with the form you wish to take, it will take less time than something you're not familiar with. I trust you to manage that for narrative's sake.

3) How, exactly, do we shackle demons?  I'd imagine that's coming up soon, so is there a thing we have to do or do we just tell you we'd like to shackle it?

Now that there is intention to shackle, I shall explain it.

Shackling and You - What You Need to Know
As I've mentioned before, the stronger an entity is, the harder it is to shackle. If you can hurt, injure, intimidate or otherwise disadvantage it in some way, you'll have an easier time shackling.

You can attempt to shackle an entity at any time. The process is similar to casting a spell, but takes longer. You need to concentrate on drawing the being into your body, and then defeat it with your mind. Hand signs and invocations help. When you wish to shackle, state that intention and describe your character getting into focus. You need to establish a connection with the entity in question and then pull it through that connection.

Then, I'll tell you if you're successful or not.

There won't really be a back-and-forth between yourself and the entity, so just describe your efforts to capture it, and I'll respond with the being's attempts to resist, and then I'll resolve it.

You can only shackle one being at a time. You can have multiple beings shackled to you, but you can't multi-shackle, if that makes sense. Also, knowing an entity's name will give you an advantage, unless it also knows yours.

Remember that shackling afrits or marids is really not recommended. You can die from that. Or, have your soul consumed. Whichever you prefer :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:59:19 AM by Saracenar »

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
Did I see anything of interest while I looked over the archway as a Gryffon?  I just want to know in case it helps us decide where to go.

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
Ah, right, my apologies. I forgot to include that. These late night updates don't seem like the best idea, haha. I'll amend my latest post with the answer.

Offline Killskin

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
Are we ever gonna get better weapons or additional spells? Not that there`s anything wrong with the spells we have or the daggers, it`s just that more options and maybe a sword or spear would be nice.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
Well I don't think we need new spells, he left them vague enough there is a ton of options about uses. Also he mentioned getting thread earlier, so I assume getting new equipment is possible.

Also I just read the first Bartimaeus book. Made me wonder, can we shackle demons into objects? Like they do in the books to give the object power.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 01:39:35 AM »
I didn't really consider allowing you to shackle entities into objects, but it is a great idea. The problem is though that there aren't exactly 'objects' on the Sixth Plane, as an entity has its own set of abilities and powers and therefore doesn't require weapons or equipment for offence or defence.

As to the availability of new weapons and spells...for weapons, see above. I intend for your main weapons to be the entities you have shackled, as in combat you will have control over what they do and how they fight. New spells are possible, but of course I can't divulge details like those for my own also undisclosed reasons ;)

I don't mean to say that new weapons are impossible, by any means, you just probably won't come across any lying around, or in the hands of most entities. You could have Azyre (or another entity) fell a tree and find some rocks and turn them into spears if you really wanted one, for example.

And Nightwalker, would that be The Ring of Solomon, or The Amulet of Samarkand you read?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:43:22 AM by Saracenar »

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
It was the Amulet of Samarkand.

Well I suppose we could start shackling imps into rocks and use them as grenades :P

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »
It was the Amulet of Samarkand.

You know they've realised a graphic novel version of it? I have both, of course. Great book. Get onto the rest now! :D

Well I suppose we could start shackling imps into rocks and use them as grenades :P

Haha, that gave me a laugh. Inventive, but not exactly what I had in mind.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
Update will come later this afternoon. I figured the SOPA blackout might have thrown some of us off course a bit, but I will be updating within 7-8 hours.

Offline Killskin

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
How does my Decay spell work? Do I have to be touching them or can I use it from a distance?